Lost Mountain

It was just another one of those days best described by the phrase, “Didn’t go as expected.”

The alarm got me out of bed at 5.30 a.m. (so far so good) and about an hour later I hit the road – with a good deal of trepidation, I may add. Snow had covered the ground overnight but the dusting was thin enough that I did it. Then, the first bit of the road was rather slushy and slippery – but driving carefully, it was fine. After Enterprise Corner, all was well and I got to Nelson ten minutes early. Perfect.

Then my ride arrived, but my driver explained that she might have to turn back early so best if I follow her to Salmo and hitch a ride from there.

This, of course, was exactly what I was trying to avoid – and I told her that. She blithely said, “Oh the road’s fine – no worse thatn Silverton.”

Okay – Silverton was good – no snow – I could do that.

Her idea of okay roads and mine differed rather wildly. As soon as I headed south, snow, slush, a bit of ice and all kinds of just plain s#%t on the road. I crept along and made it just at the 8.30 – meeting time. I almost turned around once. I almost cried once. I swore softly the entire time.

Late that morning, Chris correctly diagnosed my condition as PTSD. My ride thought I ought to learn how to drive in winter conditions. Fair enough. I just didn’t think this was the day I would have to do that.

Okay – so we got to the trailhead, put on our snowshoes and headed up. I have to admit that Chris (and crew) did a fine job of trail building. The snow was heavy, wet and surprisingly slippery. I think the slippiness of it drained some of my energy. At any rate, we plodded up (five of us). A few spills along the way (of course). I think we decided early on that we weren’t going to make the top. The weather had us pretty socked in and the distance and elevation to the top were a tad formidable for breaking trail the whole way.

So we stopped at noon, had lunch and headed back down – near the bottom, our speed of descent  eased up a fair bit, given the snow conditions. All in all – about 700 metres of elevation over about seven K in almost five hours.

I drove back over the pass into Castlegar – a tad mushy at the top but all in all, a much better choice than up to Salmo.

Nope – not quite as expected – but, as always, just plain wonderful to be out with good people.

Came home to find that Simon had almost completed the porch. It looks totally fabulous.

Realtor coming to visit us in a few days. Very curious to see what he has to say.

About goodyniosi

Writer, avid(!!!) hiker - living life to the fullest. Love, life, bliss - getting high on getting high (in the alpine that is)
This entry was posted in Hiking and Life. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s