Mount Alwyn (partly)

After yesterday’s aborted hike/walk, I knew I’d need to get my arse out there today and DO SOMETHING!

So I did. Simon dropped me off on Red Mountain Road and, packing my snowshoes on my back, I started walking up the road that leads to one of Mount Alwyn’s ridges.

This is one of my least favourite hikes/snowshoes. It’s on the north side (no sun) and it’s an old road all the way. And I really hate walking on roads. But at this time of year, I’m a beggar when it comes to hikes – so this is what I do. I put myself into “creative mode” thinking about story ideas and came up with an interesting one or two.

And I was the only one there as the snow came down – and it snowed and snowed. All was quiet. No “bear alert” noises from me today. To heck with it. I relished the complete silence.

And then, once I was well past the Silverton lookout, I heard an engine noise. Really? It got louder and louder and then – there were two ATVs in the middle of the old road. Beside them, about a dozen empty anti-freeze containers. And next to those, a very large generator – which was, of course, emitting all the noise.


I shouted – no one answered. Strangest thing!

However – this was the end of the packed-down road. I strapped on my snowshoes and kept going – and boy that snow was deep and heavy. It was slow going for the next 45 minutes – up and up and up. Finally, about 3 hours and 15 minutes after setting out, I reached almost The end of the road – the place where it leads into the avalanche chute that leads up to the ridge. I was exhausted. That trail breaking was heavy work!

So – I wolfed down my sandwich and headed back down. Oh yeah – going down in the snow? Fasssst….

And there was the generator – still going and just past it – something I hadn’t noticed on my way up – a log cabin! Hidden in the trees! Really? I’ve been up here several times and never noticed it. Is it new? I didn’t see a single person. Most peculiar.

And so I arrived back at the road and the hardest part of the hike began – the road! I have a really hard time walking on flat – but I plodded along and got home shortly after three – six hours after setting out. 900 metres elevation gain.

And had a bubble bath.

And chocolate.

So – life is good.

About goodyniosi

Writer, avid(!!!) hiker - living life to the fullest. Love, life, bliss - getting high on getting high (in the alpine that is)
This entry was posted in Hiking and Life. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s