Internet – up or down?


No – there was no blog yesterday. Once again, Columbia Wireless shut down the Internet from 5.30 p.m. – 9 a.m. We can only hope that this doesn’t become a habit. Certainly the people who work all day and come home to watch Netflix would not be pleased.

And this, of course, can only be blamed on global warming – rain and more rain and cloudy skies with no sun to power the solar panels. Everyone in the valley has said that this is very unusual.

We shall see.

It has been a mildly productive day with some good news. Yes, I filled more cracks in the floor. This too is becoming a habit, I fear but I dearly hope it goes away even faster than the Internet issue. Peter, the building inspector made his first stop here today when Simon had almost finished taping the celling. We’d been warned that he was tough – perhaps even a bit anal. People weren’t giving him what I’d call rave reviews.

But the minute he stepped through the front door with a big smile on his face, I like him. So did Simon. He stayed for almost two hours and nothing he said or did gave any indication that he was the adversary bent on giving us a hard time. I liked him more and more with every word he said. He liked the house and thought it was well-built. He was impressed with everything Simon had already done. He gave suggestions on how do things economically. He gave excellent advice. He was clearly doing his best to make everything work for us.

On top of all that, he’s a guitar and bass player who gave Simon names of guys he could jam with.

Simon was particularly elated after he left, at which point we got our asses in gear, hopped in the car and drove to Nelson to pick up the truck, which had been beautifully serviced by the splendid folks at Kal Tire. We did a modicum of shopping on the way home, including fresh organic greens which provided a fabulous salad for dinner to go with the fresh bread I’d baked that morning.

As you can see, it was a pretty productive day.

I think tomorrow is devoted to sanding the floor and perhaps even getting the first coat of varnish down. Also, the tongue and groove boards for the ceiling will be arriving. It seems the only place we can store them is in the basement stairwell, which will make laundry a very interesting chore. (washer and dryer are housed in the basement).

At any rate, we are proceeding. One step at a time.

In all this “house stuff” I’m pleased that I’m also finding time to write my book. Soon I will have to make time to hike, even if only up to the flagpole again. My body is not happy. It needs to move and work hard.

Some time this weekend, I will make it happen. And then I have to get myself on a regular hiking schedule. KMC events these days all involve skis. But snowshoeing will come up. Fingers crossed it’s soon.



About goodyniosi

Writer, avid(!!!) hiker - living life to the fullest. Love, life, bliss - getting high on getting high (in the alpine that is)
This entry was posted in Hiking and Life. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s