imageThere it is: my monster stollen. I should probably have inserted a hand (or foot) to give comparison. Now you will just have to take my word for it that it’s huge. But somehow, I have a sneaking suspicion that it will get eaten.

At any rate, that was yesterday. This is today. It’s four pm and I have only just had my morning shower. And it feels so good!

We woke up this morning to no power. I suppose it really shouldn’t have surprised us, given the banging and rocking of the float house overnight. However, no biggie. I have camped and when you have camped out in a tent in the middle of the wild, you kind of get used to doing the very bare basics: brushing teeth, splashing cold water hastily in the direction of your face and getting on with it. And so I got on with it. The “getting on” involved driving to a local cafe to get some warm apple cider into my body (latte for Simon), picking up a snack and lunch at the Garage, and driving to the Mount Prevost trailhead.

There was a bit of back and forth on this. At first we planned to go, then Penny thought it might be too risky in the high winds, then a patch of blue appeared above her house, then Julie decided we should go, and I simply decided to say yes to whatever anyone else chose to do.

That meant heading up in a spitting rain and considerable cloud and mist. There was no stopping for photos – not even one. And we didn’t make it to the very stop, stopping about 15 minutes or so short of that. A joint decision: just too windy and dangerous. But we had a super hike, got good and sweaty, and headed back.

I got into the car to drive back dreaming about my hot shower to wash all the stink off me. Ha!  I realized halfway down Herd Road that my dreams were a tad in vain when I met a large road crew topping trees and restringing wires. Nope – no power. And it was getting pretty chilly in the float home.

I did the only sensible thing I could: peel off all my clothes, wrap myself in Simon’s fluffy oversized bathrobe and crawl under the blankets. (And this wonderful man gave me his body heat to stave off incipient hypothermia). Anyway, I napped. When I woke up after two pm – no power. Heck, what could I possibly do but nap some more? Seemed like a reasonable solution to me. And then, when I woke up and still no power, I did the only other sensible thing – brought a big bar of chocolate to bed. As I said to Simon, it’s the only time I could remember ever eating chocolate in bed, unless, of course, there was a time in my misspent youth and I just can’t remember because really, who can remember the 60s? – just having survived them is enough!

And then: power! Oh the excitement! The jubilation! The sheer joy on Simon’s face when he realized the long stay in bed was over and he didn’t have to listen to any more stories of unicorns and fairy dust, that being the only form of entertainment that was going at the time.

Life is never dull around here. Not when you live in a house inhabited with a pair of two-legged and a couple of four-legged twits! But I wouldn’t have it any other way.

About goodyniosi

Writer, avid(!!!) hiker - living life to the fullest. Love, life, bliss - getting high on getting high (in the alpine that is)
This entry was posted in Hiking and Life. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s