Who to Vote for

P1070041_Fotor

I got a call from an NDP canvasser last night, asking me if they could count on my vote.

“I’m voting Green,” I said.

The canvasser immediately burst into a harangue about how I would be splitting the vote and how a vote for the Green Party was a tacit vote for Harper and how that would be a disaster – and on and on. It was an echo of every strategic voting argument I have heard since (and even before) this campaign began. I was firm with her, She got angry with me. In fact, the conversation from her side verged on bullying. I really should have told her that her attitude was not about to win any votes.

This morning I saw another argument on Facebook: if you want money to go to your riding for infrastructure etc., then you should vote for the candidate whose party was most likely to get elected, otherwise, you would have an opposition MP and that means no money for your riding. Again, I have heard this argument in the past. It’s one I find particularly abhorrent. What it really means is that I should vote, not for the party I like but for the party I think will take power, even if I am against everything it stands for.

This is democracy?

Not to mention that the fact that money goes only to the ridings where the ruling party rules is simple, flagrant disregard and scorn for every Canadian who did not vote for the party that got in. Boil it down farther and you will see that the ruling party will reward those who voted it in and punish those who didn’t. So – not a party that represents all the people.

This is a very sad state of affairs.

And you can’t trust the polls – those are manipulated by whoever commissions them.

There is only one way to vote. Know your values. Look at the parties. Whose values align with yours? Which party has values that will benefit you and the generations to come? Where are the ethics, the inclusiveness? Who cares about the country? The planet? Examine the campaigning – any party that practices fear-based politics is underserving of a reasoned vote.

Align your values. Vote intelligently – but don’t forget to put your heart into the equation.

About goodyniosi

Writer, avid(!!!) hiker - living life to the fullest. Love, life, bliss - getting high on getting high (in the alpine that is)
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Who to Vote for

1. J says:

I was walking down commercial drive last week in Vancouver where I ran into Jenny Kwans canvassers. She had provincial NDP MLA for Saanich South Lana Popham canvassing with her which is who spoke to me. It was the exact same thing, I felt bullied. When she asked who I was voting for I said Wes Regan (Green) to which she had a confused look on her face and replied “Who is that.?” If your campaigning in Vancouver East, I guarantee you know who he is. You only need to walk down any street to see the signs. I was told of the vote split (although the Greens could take half the NDP vote in Vancouver East and the Cons would still be in last place.)

She was extremely rude and they are not winning any votes by trying to make people feel stupid for the way they are voting.

2. HLD says:

I am curious… short of calling the phone company I have no way of tracking the authenticity of the call in question. The caller said she was representing the NDP and resorted to aggressive scare tactics (once she heard I’d be voting green) about our riding being between PC and NDP. I shared my experience with a friend… His comment sent me reeling… He has heard of some PC tricksters (his words) that call up pretending to be NDP and create such a “bad taste” you react and say you won’t vote NDP.

Is this really what the state of our political system is coming to in Canada???

I so appreciate attending a recent “Town Hall meeting” hosted by Elizabeth May. Refreshing to see someone well educated, inspired, considerate of her candidates and truly putting the needs of Canada first.

I encourage everyone to vote… and especially make an informed voting choice. For the Love of Canada!

• goodyniosi says:

Interesting. In the future, I know what I will do – I will get the name of the person calling and their supervisor’s name. If I feel bullied or if there is any negativity, I will call the NDP (or whichever Party) to report the issue.

• Lynda Drury says:

I had the same experience with a Green Party canvasser on my doorstep. I had to ask him to leave as he had no respect for my choice. I don’t think it is good to pit them against us when we all know who the real enemy is. We play into the Harper Conservative hands with this divisiveness. We, the Greens and NDP (maybe even the liberals) need to work together to stand up for a better Canada, one where proportional representation will include more Greens and more heartfelt choice.

• michael says:

oh wait , i guess my comment should have been in reply to yours here heh’….

3. Lafcadio says:

If I were a Conservative strategist I would fully endorse your post. Harper only wins again if enough self-important people put their own choices ahead of the country’s interests.

• Simon says:

Thank you for expressing your view. However, ‘self-important people’? Voting for policy that best serves a voter’s view is not self-important; democracy is founded on the basis of freedom of speech and a right to equal representation. Voting for one’s beliefs is the cornerstone of the democratic process; Choice IS the voting process. A manipulated, forced ballot, a guilt or fear-driven checkbox carried out only as a nationalistic duty to an ideology is the foundation of dictatorships and fascism, a degradation of democracy. A country’s interests are best served by a better democracy. Respectfully, your comment only further substantiates the point being made.

• James says:

What makes you think our political system is a democracy?

• We must, first, get the cons out of Ottawa. Any other party will work with the Greens to restore our democracy, but at the present time this is not a democracy. IMHO, we must vote together to ensure that we heave Steve… THAT is more important than the idealistic vote – I’d love to see more Green seats won, but it is never going to happen in my riding, and I am not going to help Harper by wasting my vote. I’ll contribute financially to the Green party, but I have to vote strategically – THAT is MY choice

• michael says:

“Bouncytigger•
      17 hours ago

The Greens got 576,221 in the last election. They got 665,940 in 2006, and 941,097 votes in 2008.

Green votes go up, Harper gets a minority. Green votes go down, Harper gets a majority. So much for Greens splitting the anti-Harper vote. There is nothing to this argument. Do not believe this argument because it is an infestation of NDP trolls and activists trying to get you to vote NDP instead of Greens. The NPD would like to destroy the Green party the same way the Conservatives want to destroy the Liberals.”

no , harper only wins so long as he’s not prosecuted for the mass election fraud he’s been convicted off…..

4. derek ryder says:

And never forget: there’s no such thing as a good vote AGAINST something. Vote FOR what you want, not AGAINST what you don’t.

• Lynda Drury says:

As one who is voting against Harper, a quick flip to the positive is: I am voting for Canada, a Canada that is peace loving and strong (and does not align with the US military.) I am voting for Proportional Representation where all of our choices are represented and the Greens can truly be part of the democratic process. Please spare me the negative blah blah. Most of us are so passionate about getting rid of Harper to preserve the Canada that we love. It is disrespectful to diminish our vote against Harper with such a flaky statement and it kind of leaves me thinking that you are not paying attention to all of the environmental destruction that Harper is bringing down upon the world. If your Green vote could mean fundamental change in Parliament, I am in. But truly you and I both know that the Greens cannot take power this time and could easily be the wedge that allows Harper to slither in again. So we need to do something this time, that will make a difference. That means you and I have got to work together for the environment, for Canada and for the world. How do we do that? Let’s do this good thing.

• nebrad says:

That is exactly what was hanging out there as a real reason to vote “strategically” – to me that is a bunch of bs and a no way of democracy. It is not a matter of paying or not paying attention. It is a matter of not letting anybody or anything to brainwash you to do different.

5. michael says:

it’s most likely not the cpc that’s been making those calls to trick people , as indicated by another personal experience post

when this person decided to change their support from ndp to green and gave the ndp candidate back his campaign stuff he did the same of accusing her of splitting the vote , so unless that rabbit hole of the power structure’s plan goes so deep as to make the individual candidates for the other parties themselves act in this undesirable way to make people chose someone else to vote for and ‘split the vote’ to allow harper to reform government (as if he ever needed anyone’s votes to begin with and didn’t just steal the previous elections through mass election fraud) , then no this isn’t a cpc ploy and is just the ndp’s propaganda campaign blowing up in their face like i had a hunch it would before this election finished…..

6. Murray Gudmundson says:

There is a constant assumption from NDPers that all Green votes come from former NDPers, however the reality (i know from being involved and meeting many GP members) is that Greens come from across the political spectrum, and in fact there may be more former Progressive Conservatives and former Reform Party voters, than any other group because they have no one else who shares their concern for ethical, fiscally responsible government, and members of parliament who put their consitituents FIRST and not tow the party leader’s line

• michael says:

yes exactly , tell that to any ndp supporter of strategic voting tauter and they’ll say they don’t believe you and just cry ‘left wing vote split you’re electing conservatives’ all the same , it’s really fucking gay…….

• Yes I’m a former Progressive Conservative voter gone Green. I’ve been a Green a long time now but that’s my history. I’ve never been NDP, in fact they put me in jail as a criminal for standing up to protect Clayoquot Sound. Make democracy work and Vote Your Values!

• Stephen says:

The Green party is actually very much like the Conservatives in it’s fiscal policies, they big difference is a green focused economy.

7. Nathan says:

My mother got a call from a volunteer working for Olivia Chow’s campaign, and when she told her she was considering voting Green the volunteer flat out said “Really? I thought you were intelligent” and then went on to slander Elizabeth May and dismiss the importance of my mom’s choice by saying that this is an important election and the Green vote is a waste.

8. I am not sure who first started that idiotic logic of splitting votes… We should all vote what comes out of our hearts. If, God forbid, Harper wins again it will ether tell us that there are much more people on his side or that the game is rigged. I am calmly sure that I am voting Green!

• michael says:

idk when it started but i do know it was used heavily against the ndp when they were first formed….

the game is rigged , has been for a long time , and harper’s been convicted of mass election fraud for all of his elections…..

9. Lawrence says:

Ahhhh to everyone who follows this logic…. you are being ignorant and short-sighted! Our voting system does not reward voting for a party which will not win! The NDP and Liberals have a great interest in bringing in Voter reform!! vote strategically and lets get voter reform and whatever new government that awaits! THIS ONE HAS TO BE ABOUT REMOVING HARPER, HELLO, we have a viral infection that needs to be cleansed, you dont go about painting a picture when you have gangreene in your foot do you? If you vote for the Green party in 2015, you do not understand the barriers that prevent the greens from gaining traction, plain and simple.

• michael says:

>If you vote for the Green party in 2015, you do not understand the barriers that prevent the greens from gaining traction, plain and simple.

that barrier being people not voting for them , so no people voting green are the only ones who do in fact understand that barrier that prevent the greens from gaining traction…..

10. myridean says:

I have a pretty reliable assumption that even though I will vote Green, the NDP candidate will get the vote but since every Green vote means that they party can be eligible for funding from the Canadian government, the more votes they get, the more money they will receive in support for their next election and/or by-election campaign.

11. Louisa McCutcheon says:

I am going by Vote ABC Anything But Conservatives, that gives ,me choices.NPD Green or Liberal ,I,M still thinking about it. I LIKE AND RESPECT Elizabeth May,and from reading comments on NDP posts,I know that people like me were demanding that she be included in the debates. That made me pround to be a part of them.I don,t care for the Liberals,not after what happened in Ont. That leaves me with Green or Orange, and I would love to see a coalition party of those colours.I think we might have more success with that Both are strong and I believe both would be good for Canada

12. The current debate about “strategic voting” reminds me of the ecological skirmishes that go on as resources begin to dwindle in a declining biological community. No longer is diversity of opinion an affordable luxury. Instead, it’s become a desperate grab for resources.
    Our individual votes simply do not mean that much. At best, a 0.0001% influence on the outcome!
    So why all the anguish?
    And why the nasty bullying from campaign representatives?
    The real problem is that the system is leaving us totally stressed and powerless. This makes us lash out at others.
    Meanwhile, while we argue about who should vote for whom, we’re NOT addressing:
    – voter apathy
    – the fact that our current government is raping the country and the people are powerless to do anything about it, even though he should, by law, have been kicked out years ago
    – the stupid first-past-the-post electoral system that doesn’t even allow us to vote for who we want (what if I wanted Green in Grey-Bruce, and NDP federally?)
    – the fact that Canada’s international reputation as a stable, peace-making country is falling apart
    – coast-to-coast economic problems (that are staring us in the face right here in Grey-Bruce, such as high storefront vacancies in core business areas)
    – and so much more…
    Why argue about who to vote for, and then sit back and expect whoever wins to just fix all this for us? Where is this discussion all the rest of the time between elections when the problems are being created?
    We do not have a democracy. We have an oligarchy.
    Vote – if you bother – for the person you want to see as the federal MP in your riding.

13. Rick Jemmett says:

With Great Respect…

If I were asked which federal party I’d like to see win the election, I would unreservedly go with Elizabeth May’s Green Party. My values & principles are clearly best aligned with the Greens.

That said, May hasn’t a hope of forming a government. In my home riding, NDP candidate Jacqui Gingras is battling hard to win a seat in a riding that traditionally goes Tory. She has the best shot at taking out the new guy, a rookie Tory – never before elected – who regularly doesn’t bother to show up at all-candidates meetings.

This data was taken earlier this afternoon from ThreeHundredEight.com and provides an excellent example of how vote splitting will only serve to ensure another Harper win. Gingras, at just under 29%, remains in 2nd, 7.5 points behind Harper’s minion. The Greens are at 15.4%. If those Green Party voters swing their votes to Gingras, she wins the seat and Harper is down a minion.

The math tells us there is only one candidate with a decent opportunity to take out the CON candidate – it is a two horse race. Ugly as it is, every vote in this riding for the Green or Liberal Party is effectively a vote for Harper. If Green or Liberal voters want their concerns addressed in Ottawa, they will be far better served by Gingras than by Harper’s guy.

No rational, informed Green supporter could argue that Harper will better respect and represent their values & principles than will Mulcair. Their environmental & social platforms are fundamentally different – Mulcair being substantially closer to the Green Party on many important issues than is Harper. Having our concerns legitimately represented in Ottawa is far more important that the colour of the bus that gets us there.

I understand that people should vote their conscience – it is the essence of democracy. But what to do when voting your conscience ensures a fascist is returned to power? I believe there is ample evidence that in this specific election, nothing is more important than ridding Ottawa of the Harper Regime. I firmly believe the future of the Canada I grew up cherishing rests with his political evisceration. Vote splitting is a real phenomena, and can hand the country back to Harper. It’s how he wins and he knows it. His table is tilted and it’s up to citizens to get it back to level again. If we must hold our noses and vote strategically, so be it. We’ll regain a Canada we recognize for the next election cycle, and we can go back to more principled voting then.

• michael says:

accounting for second choice voting preference % http://www.nanosresearch.com/library/polls/20150910%20Ballot%20TrackingE.pdf
      10% gpc votes go to cpc and 37% to ndp , out of the 15% the gpc had for that 1 poll the cpc gains 1.5% and ndp about 6% , still not enough to make a different outcome , why don’t you ask the liberal supporters to do this strategic voting instead they have a 60% ndp second choice preference….

• Rick Jemmett says:

I think I suggested that both Green Party & Liberal Party folks might wish to swing toward the NDP candidate in this specific riding (4th paragraph). As this is a Green Party site, and as my heart bleeds Green, I did emphasize the Green Party throughout my post. I think the concept of strategic voting needs to be applied by voters of all persuasions who feel Harper’s time is up.

• michael says:

oh k….

14. Natalie says:

It’s good to see people at least thinking about their vote, now if everyone would vote we might see a little fairer representation in government. These are my concerns though, I don’t want Harper in power again, if hypothetically all our ridings had a population of 12,000 and 4000 vote Conservative while the other 8000 vote Liberal, NDP and Green (say 3000 Liberal, 3000 NDP and 2000 Green) then although 2/3 of the voters voted against the Conservatives they would still take the riding/seat and end up with another majority government ! Unfortunately I have seen both the Conservatives and the Liberals win majority governments like this and you can not call that democratic ! So for me my vote has to go to the party in my riding that has the best chance of beating the Conservative representative. The less ridings they win the greater chance we have of ousting king Stevie! It may interest some of you to know that in some ridings or at least one that I know of the Green candidate has stepped down and put his support behind the NDP candidate to ensure a non conservative riding. Elizabeth May supported this decision and maybe just maybe the Greens, Liberals and NDP need to consider a possible alliance for this election so that we are free of Harper and his catastrophic decision making !

15. lovestheleft says:

I like the integrity of this article. I too love and support the Green values and politics.

But this election, I’m going to vote for whoever in my riding is most likely to beat the conservative candidate. I feel those same values I hold would be represented better by any left wing party (liberals, NDP or green) than by the conservative MP. Because I know that in my riding there is no chance that the Green MP is going to get elected, while I do love the green party I know that voting for them means one less vote for the party who actually has a chance of beating the conservative candidate. I feel that throwing one more vote behind whoever on the left is most likely to win will more effectively help ensure my left leaning values are represented, and finish the crazy, secretive, immoral, controlling government we currently have. Unfortunately it’s often a two way race between the conservative candidate and one of the other three parties (Green, liberal, NDP), and what I care about most right now is establishing a government that is more compassionate, honest and reasonable, which would be any other party but the one currently in power. This unfortunately means that my individually fine tuned desires may not be what is driving my vote, but looking at the situation realistically, I feel voting strategically is throwing power behind the candidate that could in fact actually win to represent MORE of my values.

Once a party that’s more left leaning has been elected, hopefully we can get proportional representation on the go, and THEN I’ll vote green, when I know any choice I make will influence results. But for now with first past the post, because all that matters is who wins the race in each riding, I want to put my vote behind whoever can realistically get in to make sure that the Canada we all know and love is protected from being dismantled piece by piece for four more years (I think that either the NDP and the Liberals would be far more likely to be influenced by the green party than the Conservatives).

Harper only got a majority government in spite of the fact that approx. 70% of Canada leans left because in each riding, out of the four main options, there was only one choice for those who wanted a right wing government, and THREE for those who lean left. So while the three other left leaning options ACTUALLY got the majority of votes together, they were split between the green, NDP and liberal candidates, leaving the conservative MP with the ‘most’ votes of the four. I feel this warped representation could easily happen again, and desperately want to prevent it from coming about.

So that’s how I feel about this. Voting to support personal ideology is important, but when there is a possibility of another conservative government at stake, we need to band together in each riding to figure out which of the three left candidates are most likely to win (Liberal, NDP or Green), and support that one in order to ensure the conservative candidate doesn’t get another seat, and in order to get rid of Harper. I am part of a number of conservation and human rights based activist groups, and most agree with this. Please!!!!