The day started off oddly enough. We were making a final hiking decision early in the morning. I was set to do the Julier Pass, which I had been told was awesome. Ellen and Julie were up for a Piz behind our village. Unfortunately, I misunderstood Ellen and thought she had scratched that idea, so we all set off on the bus to the trailhead for the Julier Pass. We soon realized that the trail followed, paralleled and crossed the major road heading up to the pass. This sucks, I thought to myself. Turns out, we all pretty much thought the same thing but wee too “nice” to say anything. Thank goodness, Ellen finally did and as one we scrapped the trail and headed back. Ellen and Julie were off to their original hike. I opted for a day of exploring and bit of housekeeping, namely St. Mo ritz to get a schedule to Zurich for the train and, the lovely Laderach chocolate shop. But mainly, I wanted to explore the trails above the town. 

I hopped on the first bus, only to discover it did not stop at the train station as I had hoped. But, as good luck would have it, and as a rider across the aisle pointed out, it stopped almost directly across from the cog railway that went to the top of the huge Piz behind St. Moritz. Excellent! I got on. And we went up, and up and then up some more. We got out almost at the top. One last change to the gondola to get to the very top, which was becoming engulfed in a black cloud. And then the wind. I am talking about an icy wind that was gusting so hard it threatened to blow everything off the mountain. 

And so I figured the wise thing to do was to being hiking down. I checked out some signs, decided not to consult a map, and just go for it. It turned out that the trail I picked was pretty and scenery was fine. Even better, it dipped into sheltered spots often enough that I didn’t have to worry about being blown off the hill. 


More good luck: I got to the train station just as the first drops of rain began to fall. This, of course, was after my visit to the Laderach store, where I weighed my pack down with a LOT more chocolate. I got back to the hotel at about 2.30 or so and had the best nap ever. Woke up to pouring rain. When it stopped I got back out for an hour or more, hiking along and above the lake, exploring more trails and admiring the swirling clouds. 

And really, that’s about it. It was a relaxing day. It seems that I did a lot but it felt like a day of rest. This vacation is almost over. It feels like it has been long and, at the same time, too short. There is so much more to explore here. I’d love to see what Poschiavo in the next valley has to offer. And I am incredibly grateful for the days we have had – simply idyllic. Tomorrow we are off to Zurich, where I hold out some hope of finding a whole new world of chocolate (no – I insist that I am not an addict). On Friday we head home. 

About goodyniosi

Writer, avid(!!!) hiker - living life to the fullest. Love, life, bliss - getting high on getting high (in the alpine that is)
This entry was posted in Hiking and Life. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s